What does I-940 do?
Initiative 940 is an initiative to the Legislature on law enforcement training and community safety. It -
- Requires training for violence de-escalation, mental health, and first aid.
- Provides that police should render first aid at the scene.
- Applies a good faith standard for use of deadly force and removes the de facto immunity.
- Requires completely independent investigations of use of deadly force when there is injury or death.
- Brings diverse community stakeholders to the table for the development of standards and curriculum.
- Includes Tribal governments in investigations where a tribal person was injured or killed.
What is the time-line to gather signatures?
We have until December 29th to gather the required signatures and turn them into the Secretary of State. We will push to get done well before that date.
What does the Legislature do with the Initiative?
Once we get the required signatures, the initiative goes to the legislature. They can pass it as is, reject it, suggest an alternative, or do nothing. If they do reject it or do nothing, it goes on the November 2018 ballot. If they suggest an alternative, both go on the ballot.
Where can I get more information?
Look on our website https://deescalatewashington.nationbuilder.com/
Or go to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/deescalatewashington/
Or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I donate to the Campaign?
Persons who are 18 or older can donate to the campaign and must be making donations of their own funds. Contributions to De-Escalate Washington I-940 are not tax deductible.
You can write a check payable to “De-escalate Washington I 940” and mail the check to:
P.O. Box 27447
Federal Way, WA 98093
Or you can go on-line and use the donate button on our website.